This inpatient facility for a venerable New York City medical institution includes an inpatient surgical unit at one end and, at the other, a new amenities unit providing special services to the patient community.
The facade treatment restates the thematic architectural element of the pointed arch that is eloquently deployed in the hospital’s original 1936 campus, inspired by the Papal Palace at Avignon.
The layout of the new facility is governed by considerations of efficiency for medical staff and legibility for patients. Patient rooms, located on the top floor, are designed for maximum comfort and convenience, with a palette of materials selected for warmth and luminosity as well as durability and cost-effectiveness. These suites enjoy high ceilings and dramatically curved windows that reflect the system of pointed arches on the exterior.
Existing hospital campus on the upper east side of Manhattan
Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Surgical Care Unit for gastrointestinal surgery; patient rooms totaling 48 beds; patient lounges; support spaces and amenities
Architecture, exterior envelope, interior design
Best of 2010 Awards: Award of Merit
McGraw Hill, 2010
The primary hallway is punctuated at its center by a triangular skylight, expressed on the exterior in a series of triangular bays that offer spectacular views of the East River and beyond.
Associate Architect: Ballinger, Philadelphia; Structural: Thornton Tomasetti, New York; Mechanical / Electrical / Plumbing: Syska Hennessy Group, New York; Interiors: Pei Cobb Freed & Partners; 照片: PCF&P